family

family

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Be Open

So, I've started to notice a trend about today's society. Alright, not necessarily just barely noticing, but people are so self-centered and fixed on their own ideas.

Now, I know I say this as I sit and write on a personal blog so it may come across as hypocritical but that's not what I mean. I actually think it's a good thing that more people are sharing their stories and their thoughts. Back when I first started blogging, I didn't know of a single person that did it. What bothers me is the lack of understanding that people have for other's viewpoints, opinions, etc.

I know that living in Utah can be pretty tense for someone who isn't the typical LDS mindset. I have nothing against LDS people so let me put that out there first and foremost. I think that there are a lot of great people who belong to their church and that the ideals of the church aren't necessarily that bad until people become extremists with them. Unfortunately, there are a lot of mormons that can come across as very judgmental and ruin it for the rest of them. Growing up, I was told multiple times that my parents were going to hell because I went to church but they didn't. Eventually, I got sick of all the nonsense and decided to pull away from it because I was sick of being singled out just because my parents weren't active. I don't regret pulling away from it at all and personally, organized religion just isn't for me. However, that being said, I do believe that the church can bring people together in a good way as well.

I don't really care what someone's religion is to be honest. It's not even about that. I bring it up because it is a huge reason for the divide in this state, but I know that your religion doesn't necessarily define everything you think. What bothers me is people that are so extreme in their views (and this can apply to any topic, not just politics) that they can't even open up their mind to what someone else thinks. They completely shut out other viewpoints, get extremely angry and defensive, and then don't even bother to give real support for their own ideas. This is not okay to me and shows a huge lack of character in my eyes. I remember being constantly frustrated in high school (Riverton, not Itineris) because any time I would open up about any of my viewpoints I would immediately have 6 or 7 people attacking me and they were all repeating the same exact thing verbatim as if they really had no thoughts of their own. Numbers don't always equal power, it just magnifies the ability for people to become sheep. Plus, if people had actually taken the time to stop being so defensive, they might have realized that I agreed with them a lot more than they thought.

If you really believe something so strongly, shouldn't you be confident enough to listen without feeling threatened by another's viewpoint? Some of the most defining shifts in my ideals throughout my lifetime have come from my ability to just sit and listen and then actually admit that I am on the wrong page. It's amazing how much you can grow as a person if you just really listen to what others have to say. Will they always be right? No. But you're missing out on the growth experience in life if you can't be open enough to just listen. It won't "pollute" your morals to hear the other side. In fact, it should make your morals that much stronger.

So, there's my rant for today. People need to be a lot more open-minded because without the ability to grow and learn, we become nothing. We don't move forward, we don't get better, and we waste the little time that we do have to make something of ourselves.

Just something to think about; doesn't mean you have to agree with me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment