For awhile now I have felt an annoyance that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I've been stressed out about how much clutter Kyle and I have in our lives and how much stuff we just don't have places for or stuff that we are trying to organize that we will never ever use.
I stumbled upon the concept of minimalism thanks to Facebook and honestly, it rings super true for me. I have a long way to go before I can really say that I am following the concepts but I know that I definitely want to get rid of the majority of stuff we have and live a more simple life with only the things that bring me joy. I really do believe that stuff takes away your energy especially if it's just stuff you are holding on to and not using.
One of the first steps of minimalism is to write down why you want to become a minimalist so I thought I would start there:
1) I am tired of feeling overwhelmed by things all the time.
2) I don't want to spend my free time moving stuff around that doesn't bring me joy.
3) I want to spend less time cleaning and more time with family.
4) I want to buy less and focus my money on paying off debt so that we can travel and experience life with our girls as they get older.
5) Getting rid of stuff will allow me to focus on what is truly important in my life.
6) Less stuff = less waste.
So far, I have made very small steps but I have a long way to go. I have thrown quite a bit away but my intent is to go room by room until my house is completely cleared out. I feel like Christmas will kind of slow down my progress because we tend to get a lot of stuff around this time of the year but I will continually purge/sell/donate all the things that aren't being used and aren't making me happy. I will also strive to be more aware of the things we are spending our money on and try not to gain more stuff that we won't use at all.